Betrayal (7)

7: A plan

Dorran was crouching over the stream. The Werewolves had been hunting more often now that they had started setting up a permanent camp and had left Dorran little time for hunting prey on land. Fish had fed Dorran for the past day and a half. The meat tasted fine, but the fish did not and could not satisfy his hunger for blood. Dorran would have to wait until the pack settled down in oder to fill that hunger.

Dorran was picking the small bones carefully out of his newly caught meal. He could just as easily crunched the bones in his mouth, but then they got stuck in his teeth and that was no fun. It was mid-day and the sun dappled the small little clearing near the stream. Dorran wondered what his dream was about. He could not remember very much, just that there was Jasperain and a female and they were in the middle of some huge battle.

Dorran was deep in thought when Jasperain's sent snapped Dorran out of his thoughts. Jasperain stepped into the clearing just a few minutes later. He looked like one of the fabled warriors of Lune with his antlers. He was truly a blessed wolf to have found and caught that buck. "Hey." Jasperain greeted Dorran simply, sitting down beside him. "Afternoon." Dorran nodded towards his new friend. "So, what took you so long?" Dorran asked jokingly. Jasperain smiled. "Since I'm deputy now, I've had to stay at the camp and help around. Alarik let me have a breather. So we can talk for a good hour." he said. Dorran could see now hard hard Jasperain had been working.

For about the first twenty minutes, Dorran and Jasperain talked about one another. It was interesting, learning about life in the packs. Dorran's father had taught him a thing or two, but not much and Dorran had picked up a thing or two from following the packs, but that had not given him anything big either. Jasperain seemed equally interested in Dorran's life. Then the topic of dreams came up and Dorran remembered his. "Oh! I just remembered." Dorran's ears pricked up. "I had a dream last night, and you and a female I don't know was in it." he said. Japserain looked up. "Tell me." he said. Dorran told what he remembered of his dream.

Jasperain sat cross-legged, looking over the stream, his golden eyes seemingly far away. Dorran waited. Jasperain finally spoke. "From what you tell me, that Vampire in your dream was Veax." he said, his voice as far off as his eyes. "And from where we were and what we were doing, I believe you have seen how Veax and I feel about this war." Jasperain said, finally looking at Dorran. Dorran nodded. "I saw you and her on the battlefield. I knew there had to be a good reason that you didn't kill her." he said in a low voice. Jasperain tilited his antlered head to one side. "You've been following us for that long?" he asked. Dorran nodded again. Jasperain looked away again. "Dorran...." he paused before continuing "Can you keep a secret?"Jasperain asked. Dorran chuckled. "I have no one to tell." he answered. "Good. Because I have a dream to tell you. It keeps coming back to me and I can't sleep. Lune wants to tell me something, and I just can't dream long enough to find out what it is." Jasperain said, his voice barely above a whisper. This caught Dorran's attention. "I'm listening."

Jasperain told Dorran of his dream. The blood covered clearing, the full moon, Veax. "And every time she tries to tell me what I promised her, thunder rolls through the sky and blocks her words. Then I kill her...." Jasperain was obviously quite troubled by this dream. Dorran thought it over. He had never had a recurring dream and he doubted that many did. "Jasperain," Dorran said, putting a paw and the younger wolf's shoulder "I don't know much about the beliefs of the packs and the ceremonies of your kin, but if I didn't know better, you are seeing visions from Lune." he concluded. It was the only thing that made sense to Dorran right now.

Jasperain did not seem to be encouraged by that thought. "But I have no one else to tell. If I were to tell anyone else of this dream I would be cased out of the pack or even killed for knowing a Vampire as something more than an enemy." he said, despair think on his words. "You don't have to say that you know her, you can just leave those parts out. It's a dream, a vision, you're not supposed to know everything you see or hear in it." Dorran pointed out. Jasperain picked his head up. "Why did I not think of that before?! Dorran, you might only be half my kin, but you must be blessed by the Moon and the powers of Lune." the antlered wolf exclaimed, his hope renewed. Dorran smiled. "I'm glad I could help." he said.

They talked about how Japserain should go about telling his pack shaman, Kacima, about his dream. It did not take long, and they were both happy and content when they agreed on the best plan of action. Then an idea came back to Dorran's mind. "Jasperain, I have an idea." He started with a smile on his face. Jasperain leaned closer, showing that he was listening. "I could sneak into the city and find Veax. I could talk to her and help plan ways for you two to meet, because I want to stop this war too." he stated. Jasperain looked surprised. "Won't know that you are not one of them? Wouldn't you smell different?" he asked, worried. Dorran shook his head. "If anyone asks, I could just say that I had spent some time where some Werewolves had previously hunted. That would be enough for them." he said. Japserain leaned back, thinking it over. "Alright. Heres all I know about Veax: her clan name is Bloodrain, she looks about twenty years old, she has dark red hair, and she has the sharpest and brightest ice blue eyes I have ever seen." Japserain told Dorran. Dorran nodded. Bloodrain, twenty, red hair, ice eyes. he went over the fact in his mind. "Thats all you have?" he asked. Japserain nodded. Dorran stood. "In that case, I'll head off. The Vampires like the day better than than night, and I want to catch her before she goes to bed." he said. Japserain stood beside him. "Our hour is almost up anyway and I need to clear your sent off me. So it works. I wish you luck, mu friend." he said. Dorran smiled warmly "And I wish you the same luck, my friend." and they parted ways.

Dorran had not changed to his most human form in a long time. He felt so much smaller. But he was smaller. His human form was at least two feet shorter than his wolven form and his overall body mass became smaller. He felt cramped now and he had three problems. The first was that his pants were to big, but that was an easy fix. the second problem was that he still had wolf ears on the top of his head. He would have to find a hat for that. Dorran's last problem was his tail. It was much to big to keep hidden in his pants. As he looked around for a vine that could hold his pants up, Dorran pondered what he should do about his tail.

As he was fastening his make-shift belt, the idea hit him. "I'll wrap my tail around my waist and make it look like my belt." he did this as he said it and surely enough, it worked. "Perfect. Now all I need to do is get into the city before night-fall, find a hat, and then find Veax." Dorran went over his to-do list.

He ran as fast as his human feet could take him and after an hour of running through the forest, he came upon the city's outer wall. It was a new addition to the city and not made of the same slick stone the inner wall was made of and in turn was easy to climb.

After he made it into the outer ring of the city, Dorran walked in the shadows, looking for a hat he could snag. Soon enough he found a man sleeping on a bench and Dorran gently slipped his hat off his head and then ran off as fast as he could.

His disguise complete, Dorran wondered how he was going to fin Veax. Her clan might have a manor here in the city, if so that would be the first place for me to look. If not, I'm screwed. he thought, looking at all the signs. Finally he found his way into a main square and there was a billboard of new events. "Lets see..." Dorran looked for the new arrivals part. "Aha!" he exclaimed, finding what he was looking for. "Twenty new clans have joined the city. The ones with manors are: Vell, Garnon, Shadow, and Bloodrain. All other clans are living in guest manors. All new arrivals are in the inner city." Dorran read the notice under his breath. Perfect. he thought and headed for the gates to the inner city.

Getting into the inner city was easier than Dorran had thought it would be. The only work he had to do was hide in a big group of people passing into the inner part of the city and then run off before anyone asked who he was.

Finding the Bloorain manor was another thing entirely. Dorran had been in other, smaller, Vampire inhabited cities before but this was the biggest city in the entire known land. Dorran walked around looking for a main square, hoping for another clue as to where he might find Veax.

About four and a half hours past and Dorran was worn out. He had been to all four main squares it the inner city and had no more information on the whereabouts of the Bloodrain manor than before. He had thought about asking where it was, but decided it was to risky.

He wandered aimlessly in the alleys for about another hour. Then his sensitive ears picked up the words "Bloodrain" and "blue eyed wonder". His hopes renewed, Dorran headed towards where the voices were coming from.

Four young looking male Vampires sat in a what looked like an old make-shift clubhouse in the alley. Dorran only got a small glimpse of them, and then retreated back into the shadows. He would hear what he wanted from where he was and not get caught. "I hear that Veax dragged yet another innocent man on her crazy adventures of the castle." one remarked. Dorran labeled him vamp one, just to keep track. The others laughed. "I remember those days. We had a lot of fun, sneaking into the castle. Veax was always at my window "C'mon Kaleb. Just one more look?" she would say." said another Vampire, chuckling as he spoke. He was labeled vamp two. "She did always go to your house first. I wonder why." said vamp three in a sly tone. "Yeah, why did she always get you first?" asked the forth. The second Vampire hesitated before replying. "Well.... Lets just say out of us four, I was the closest to Veax." he said in a low voice. The other three Vampire burst out in laughter. "Why wait until she comes back, seven years later, to tell us this?" the third asked. The second Vampire did not say anythign and Dorran guessed that he had shrugged or made some other silent gesture.

They talked about Veax for a little more. Just her sense of adventure and they tried to figure out who she had run off with earlier that morning. "I know!" the forth Vampire exclaimed. "Why don't we go to her place and ask her ourselves?" he suggested. Dorran hoped that they would do so. That would help him a lot in finding Veax and talking to her. "I bet she thinks we are all respectable Vampires that have no sense of adventure anymore." the first said chuckling. The others laughed with him. "Well then she's in for a big surprise. Lets go welcome Veax back home.

Dorran followed after the four Vampires with caution. they talked amongst themselves as they walked, discussing everyday things. Dorran moved his attention and concentration to keeping inconspicuous. A few Vampires glanced his way, probably because of his 'belt' but nothing more.

It was a good thirty more minutes of walking before they reached the Bloodrain city manor. Dorran marked where the manor was in the city mentally and was glad now that he had circled the whole inner city. The four Vampires went up to the front door and knocked. There was no answer. They rang the bell. Again no answer.

Someone out of sight giggled. Dorran watched the four Vampires from his hiding place. A young female Vampire with red hair came around the corner of the manor. "You idiots. Don't you remember that no one ever answers the front door?" she asked. "Veax!" the four yelled, running towards her. They each took turns hugging her and welcoming her back. My work here is done. I know where she is and who she is. Now I need to find a place for me to stay until she is alone. Dorran thought, and headed off.

He wanted someplace where he would be a short walking distance from Veax's home so that he would not loose his precious time with her. It took him until sundown to find a place to sleep. It was not the best of places, but he looked like a homeless Vampire anyways.

Dorran waited. Hopefully he wold be able to find Veax. Hopefully she would not turn on him. The moon was high in the sky now, but the crowed buildings hid it from Dorran's sight. He had not realized how much he craved the moon's light. It must be my wolven side. Being in this form probably isn't helping either.... he thought.

Not being able to stay in one place anymore, Dorran ventured out in the almost completely empty street. There were very few street lamps but Dorran could see better in the dark than any other Vampire, so finding Veax's manor was no problem. His problem now was finding Veax.

There was only one light left on in the manor that Dorran could see from where he was. It was on the top floor. Above that window, sitting on the roof, was someone. Their hair flowed around their their head like a little cloud. Dorran looked for the best way to get up on the roof and he found a series of balconies that would work like steps for Dorran.

Dorran pulled himself quietly onto the roof. He was on the opposite side of the manor than the person he had saw, but that was a good thing. This would give Dorran time to see if this person was the person her was looking for.

Dorran walked slowly to the person sitting on the edge of the roof. From where he was now, Dorran could tell that is was a woman. This was good. Her hair was to dark to see the color, but Dorran could have sworn there was a tint of red to it. But that just might his mind playing tricks on him.

Dorran was about six feet from the woman. He could see now that her hair was red. Dorran tip-toed closer, but he stepped on a loose tile and that was a sound that the woman deffitnetly heard. She turned her head slightly, showing that she knew someone was there. "Vance?" she asked. It was Veax's voice, but it could have been her sibling for all that Dorran knew. "No." Dorran responded, staying where he was to show that he respected her space. The woman turned around. Her ice eyes shone clearly despite the dim light. "Who are you then, stranger?" she asked, her tone completely calm. "My name is Dorran Solitan. I'm looking for Veax Bloodrain?" it was Dorran's turn to ask a question. The woman nodded. "I am she. How do you know my name?" her voice held more suspicion now. Dorran took a few steps closer and knelt down. "Jasperain Quicksilver is a friend of mine as well." he said quietly.

The look on Veax face was one of utter surprise. "What!?" she exclaimed, standing. "Who are you really and how do you know about my knowing Jasperain?" Veax demanded. Dorran did not blame her for her reaction. "I am really Dorran Solitan," he said, sitting down completely now. "And I know about you and Jasperain because I saw you two on the battlefield. I followed his pack form there and he found me." Dorran siad, keeping his cool. He didn't want to scare her off.

Veax seemed to calm down a little more. "You don't look like the type of Vampire that would follow a pack of Werewolves that big single-handedly. I can't think of any Vampire that would." she said, still standing. Dorran looked her in the eye. 'Thats because I'm not a Vampire." Dorran said, and before Veax could ask he said "Nor am I a Werewolf in Human form. But at the same time I am both." he finished. Dorran left Veax to realize what he was saying.

It took her a moment, but once Veax understood what Dorran was telling her, she completely calmed down, and sat across from him. "You're a Werepyre?" she asked, her icy eyes glowing with a new excitement and curiosity. Dorran nodded. "Yes. I'm a Werepyre. But we can talk about that later." Dorran held up his hand to stop Veax from complaining. "I need to know a place where the two of us can talk safely. Somewhere alone. Then I can tell you all you want to know." Dorran had just been overcome with a feeling of caution. He felt like someone was there with him and Veax. Watching them. Veax stood. "Follow me." she said quietly. Dorran nodded, got up, and followed Veax to a trap door in the roof.

Veax showed Dorran into her room, the one with the light on. It was a small room and Dorran only got a glance at it. The biggest thing in the room was the canopy bed that literately filled half of the room, as in it was half the room. Veax opened a door and looked out into the hallway. "It's clear. C'mon." she said, gesturing with her hand. As Dorran followed her, he could have sworn he saw a man out of the corner of his eye, but there was no one there. You're just nervous, Dorran. he told himself.

Veax lead him through twisting hallways and down winding stairs. It seemed to never end. But at long last, Veax ushered Dorran through a door, and then closed and locked it. They were definitely under the manor now. Veax picked up a small box and took something out of it. Then there was a small flare of light as she struck a match. Veax held the match to a torch and the small and empty wine cellar lit up.

They sat on the stone floor. "So, can you prove to me that you're a Werepyre?" Veax asked. Dorran nodded, took off his hat and let his tail unwind itself from his waist. Veax looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "That could just tell you're a Werewolf in Human form." she pointed out. Dorran chuckeld. "I suppose it would. Here." He smiled, his Vampiric fangs showing clearly in the torchlight. Veax smiled, pleased. "Alright. I'm convinced." she said.

From there, they talked in hushed voices and Dorran told Veax about Jasperain and his antlers and his being deputy now. Veax cursed when she heard that, but was open to Dorran's idea about him being a link between her and Jasperain. Dorran then remembered Jasperain's dream. "Veax....." he started. "Yes?" she looked at Dorran with her head cocked to one side. Dorran took a deep breath and told her of Jasperain's dream. She was quiet as Dorran spoke.

When Dorran finished, Veax looked up. "I don't know what to say to that." she said in a small, far off voice. "I just thought you might want to know. Jasperain told me that he kept having this dream. It might be a vision, a warning." Dorran said, not knowing what else to say. Veax nodded. "It might be a message, but Jasperain has not promised me anything. Not yet at least." she said. "But I do have something slightly related to that topic I want to tell you about." Veax lowered her eyes to meet Dorran's. "I had a dream last night, and Vampires almost never dream." she said. Veax seemed worried about this. Really worried. "Tell me. It'll help." Dorran encouraged.

Veax was quiet for a while and then she started telling Dorran of the Obsidian Castle, the hidden stairs, the supposedly dead Vampire king. "And then earlier today, Vance Warxen and I went down there. There was journal and in it was Elleron's words. It was real, Dorran. He was really there in my dream! I really went into the castle and down those stairs with some one. But I woke up in my bed. And now Elleron is going to look for someone to control or something so he can be closer to me." Veax told Dorran, her voice thick with distress. Dorran put a hand on her shoulder. "Well you can't ignore it. I suggest to go to bed and if you see Elleron again, try to gain control within your dream and talk to him. Ask him to clear things up for you." He said. Veax nodded. "Thanks Dorran. Can you stay here? No one goes down to this cellar anymore. We made a bigger one a few years before me moved out of the city, so you'll be safe." she asked. Dorran smiled. "Yeah. I can stay. I'll lock the door just to be sure." he said as Veax opened the door. "Alright. I'll say "mixed" when I want to come in, 'kay?" she asked. Dorran nodded. Veax smiled, closed the door and left. Dorran lock the door behind her, and tried to get some sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was doing a google thing on facebook and came across this, gotta find out what happens to me. Where's 8?

Patience said...

Chapter eight is in process. I hope to have it done by tomorrow, if not tonight. I'm glad you like my story.