From Ink to Skin (1)

Part/Chapter one
The Meeting
A book slammed fiercely on the table. Everyone in the dim lit room went silent and looked in the direction of the sound. Just beforehand I had been talking about a company called Drawings For the Future corp., or as they also called them selfs DFF corp. Obviously what I had said about them angered this person at the top of the table. The figure slowly stood, I could tell that it was a tall sender woman, but given the bad lighting, thats all I could see.
"Do you really believe all that crap that they tell you?! Do you really think that you could do that when you can even summon a drawing correctly now?!" The woman hissed at me in a very deep, demanding voice. Even though I could not see here eyes, I could feel them burning into mine.
"Yes I do believe them, why should I not? And, what makes you say that a cannot summon a drawing correctly?" I asked, sounding much braver than I felt. The people around the table turned their heads away from me and looked at the woman in the shadows.
"For why you should not believe them, do they have any real proof that what they say might, or will work? Have they ever had a near-success in the past? And do you, yourself believe that you can bring forth another's drawing?!" She spat the words at me. The woman took a breath and continued.
"And as for my thinking you can't summon correctly, do your summoned drawings do anything? Are they like real, living, breathing people, or are they limp, lifeless dolls? Do they only, every once in a while, have something special about them?" she asked, her voice loser only a fragment of its sting. I took a deep breath and answered her questions. I was also careful not to lower my eyes, I was taught never to lower my eyes to and opponent, be the fight with fists or words.
"No, DFF has not given me any 'proof' that they tried this in the past and did not succeed, they also told me that they are quite new and are just starting to try this out. And yes, my drawings are almost always lifeless, and yes only sometimes do they have something more. But what does any of that have to do with DFF and my trying to bring someone else's drawing into this world?" I spoke, this time my voice was slightly broken, but I did not let that bother me. The woman sighed and sat down.
"Forgive me. I did not mean to burst out so. But, DDF is not a new corporation. They are quite old and they tell lies to get new people to work for them. Here." She threw me a folded up piece of paper. Surprisingly I caught it. Still standing I read the note to myself, not letting a sound escape my lips. This is was it read:

"As I said before, forgive my outburst. My name is Ecneitap Tontret. Yes this is very last minute, and to put it shortly: Would you meet me here, tomorrow night at 10:00pm for a new start? Oh and please don't tell anybody about what this note has said, we don't want anybody bursting in on our own little meeting. Nod if you agree and shake your head if you don't. Hope to talk to you ^.~"

I looked up from the note, nodded, and sat down. I could tell that she was pleased. Many people asked me what was one the note, but I told no one. As people started to leave I caught a glimpse of Ecneitap's book. On the cover, painted in silver, the words "P.leading E.lite A.ngel" were written.
"P.E.A." I whispered to myself. The art that DFF showed me, the art that they wanted me to bring forth, it was all singed with P.E.A. Had she worked for DFF in the past? I guessed that the next night I would learn. So I took my book and left the hall.

No comments: