From Ink to Skin (4)

Part/Chapter four
DFF Encounter
As we drove I tuned int he seat to face Ecneitap, who was driving.
"So... Um, May I inquire as to what species you are?" I asked hesitantly. I was human, but there were many different kinds of people; Other than humans. Ecneitap took a turn onto a back road that I had failed to notice in the past/
"Oh. I'm three quarters elf, and one quarter troll. Most of my looks come form the elven in my blood and my temper comes from the troll." She said speeding up the car to 76mph.
"Cool. So, how old would that make you? Whoa, wait. Aren't you going a little fast?" I asked freaking out a little. Ecneitap just laughed.
"I'm forty. I'll be forty-one in a few days. And this road has no speed limit. One of the reasons I like it. How old are you?" She asked. I didn't answer at first. She was FORTY?! She looked like she was nineteen or twenty. But then I recovered.
"I'm eighteen. But my birthday isn't for a few more months. I said, still a little taken back on how young Ecneitap looked for her age. Ecneitap slowed down, took a right and drove into the parking lot of the main DFF factory.
"That was fast." I said getting out of the car.
"It usually takes me twenty-five minutes by taxi." Ecneitap stepped out.
"Another reason I like the back roads. It's much faster." Ecneitap shut the car door behind her. The factory loomed over us as we walked towards it.
"It got bigger.." Ecneitap said opening the door for me.
"They all do. Thanks." I said As I walked through the glass door. The inside of the factory was cold and Ecneitap's boots echoed on the metal floor. About every fifteen steps or so there would be a big glass window on either side of the hallway. Ecneitap stopped in front of the fifth window on the left.
"What is it?" I asked looking into the room behind the glass. There was a empty room except for the metal table in the middle. I could just make out a little bit of red on the table.
"This is where Aclen...." She didn't finish. She didn't have to. Ecneitap shook her head.
"C'mon." She said continuing to walk down the hallway. After a few minutes, Ecneitap and I finally found a DFF agent.
"Excuse me sir, but could you please take my friend and I to the Director's office?" I asked. The agent smiled broadly.
"But of course. This way." He said. The way he said this creeped me out a little. But we followed him. After a long walk of left and right turns we came to the Director's office. Ecneitap came in after me. The Director turned in his chiar when we came in. He had been looking at some paper work.
"Ah, Miss Lanita how are you today?" He asked. Acting a little too friendly. Then he noticed Ecneitap.
"Hmm? Who might this be?" He asked again before I could answer his earlier question. Ecneitep stepped up.
"It's just me Mr. Director, Ecneitap Tontret. Don't you remember me?" Ecneitap asked him. I could see the triumph in her face as the Director's face went white.
"M-my, Miss T-Tontret! How nice to s-see you again." He stumbled over the words. I had to restrain myself from laughing. Ecneitap sat down with a smile on her face.
--~oO0Oo~--

After an hour or two we got the Director to accept my resignation.
"Is there anything you would like to take from the vault before you leave?" He asked me. I stood.
"Yes I would. Could you please take us there?" I asked as Ecneitap and the Director also stood.
"Of course. This way." He said and lead us out of his office and to the vault. Once we arrived at the vault the Director opened it for me. Ecneitap was about to follow when the Director addressed her.
"Um, Miss Tontret, would you stay out here with me for a little chat?" He asked.
"Sure." Ecneitap said and winked at me. I listened in on their chat as I looked for my books I had given DFF to look at.
"So what brings you back to DFF Miss Tontret?" I heard the Director say as I found one of my books.
"Oh, nothing really. I'm just here to help Lanita out. She was a little shaky about the whole shabang." Ecneitap said.
"Is that all?" I heard the Director respond with a little resentment in his voice.
"Well.... I thought that if she was going to quit DFF I might as well try to get her to become my apprentice. I am qualified to be a Master Ink Summoner." She said, raising her voice, and seemed to be addressing me more than the Director. The Director didn't say anything. Then I found my other two books and started to walk out when I saw a beautiful quill and ink pot set. I took them and walked out.
"Mr.Director, may I take these with me?" I asked him showing him the quill and the ink pot.
"Yes.. You may." He said and showed us out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really loving this. Keep it going

Patience said...

I'll see what I can do <3