Labyrinth II: Return to the Labyrinth (6)

Chapter six,
Worried

Sarah sat in her room, worried. Ray hadn't showed up to school today. Sarah was hoping they could talk more. Sarah had liked yesterday, she felt better about what had happened. "Maybe she playedhookie.." Sarah said to her stuffed dinosaur on her pillow. "I'll call her." she decided, going downstairs and grabbing the phone.

"Sarah, are you done with your homework?" Karen, Sarah's stepmother asked as Sarah dialed Ray's number. "Yes, ma'am." she said with a groan. Then the phone picked up. "Hello?" said a husky female voice. "Hello," Sarah started. "I'm Sarah, I was wondering if Ray is available?" she asked, hoping that Ray had just been late to the phone. "I'm sorry, but Ray hasn't been home all day, But I'll tell her you called when she gets home." and then the phone clicked off. Sarah stared at the phone, insulted my the lady's rudeness, and worried about Ray.

Sarah ate dinner in silence and when she was done she ran up to her room. She wanted to talk to Hoggle. When she was sure that her parents and Toby were asleep, Sarah called out, "Hoggle, I need you." and then, in a flash, Hoggle stood next to her bed. "You called?" he asked with a smile. "Yeah, first off, how are you?" Sarah said. Hoggle leaned up against the bed. "I'm doing alright. How are you?" he asked. Sarah's smile dimmed. "Actually I'm quite worried about a friend here," and she toldHoggle the whole story.

Hoggle listened in silence as Sarah told her story and frowned when she finished. "Your friend, Ray right? Does she got light-blond hair? And was shewearin' a little red dress?" Hoggle asked. Sarah's eyes went wide. "Yes! How do you know?" she asked, surprised Hoggle would know what Ray looked like. Hoggle coughed. "I saw her goin ' into the Labyrinth through one of them invisible entrances. I thought she was just another poor soul who had found the Labyrinth, but I guess not..." he said, thinking back on it. "What?!" Sarah exclaimed, but she still kept her voice down.Hoggle shrugged, "I dun know! Maybe she found her way into the Labyrinth using everything you told her. Or maybe....." Hoggle stopped. "Or what, Hoggle?" Sarah asked, growing even more worried for her friend. Hoggle didn't answer at first but after being stared down by Sarah he spilled. "Or maybe the Goblin King took her there!" he said. Sarah shook her head in disbelief, that couldn't be right.

"He can't harm you anymore, Sarah, or your bother. But his power is still strong. He can still answer the call of others. Maybe Ray wished herself into the Labyrinth."Hoggle explained with a shrug. Sarah was still shaking her head in disbelief. No, she couldn't have. Why would she? Sarah thought, worried that Ray was now stuck in the maze with no way out. "Hoggle you have to take me to her!" Sarah pleaded. Hoggle shook his head. "I can't do that. One, I just dun have that sort of magic, and two, I have no idea where she is!" he said. "But I might be able to find her and tell her that you're worried." he quickly said as tears began to well up in Sarah's eyes. Instantly, Sarah cheered up. "Really?" Thank youHoggle!" she said, hugging him. "Now, go! Please!" and with that Hoggle faded away. "I hope she's okay." Sarah prayed.

Sarah didn't sleep well that night. Nightmares plagued her mind. Ray stuck with that horrid "wild bunch", the orange creatures that could take off their limbs. Ray lost in the stone maze where they changed your marks. Ray stuck in the oubliette. Anything and everything that could go wrong did in Sarah's mind. But knowing that Hoggle would find her, gave Sarah the calm she needed to fall back asleep.

No comments: