Labyrinth II: Return to the Labyrinth (9)

Chapter nine,
Good news

That morning, Ray was again woken up my Bornia's gentle welcome. "Time to go." she said. Ray nodded and got out of bed. Today was another day of work. Ray still needed to get used to how early the day started here. She pulled on another simple cream dress, put on her shoes and headed downstairs.

Zari had said she would bring breakfast to the shop that day, so Ray and Bornia headed off right away. Ray was starting to memorize the way to the shop and once she had it all down, she would be able to run errands when they needed to be run.

Bornia and Ray stepped into the shop and the welcoming smell of apple pie and biscuits filled Ray's nose. "Oh Zari that smells really good." Ray said, joining them at the small table. Bornia was right behind her. "Yes, that does smell particularly delicious. Zari you should open a bakery. I'm sure you would get plenty of business." Bornia commented. Ray and the other's backed Bornia up on this. Zari had brought breakfast before and it was equally at good as this one. Zari made a half-hearted smile. "I know girls. But I love it too much here to start a new shop of any kind." and from there, they dung into the food.

Breakfast was gone rather fast and the work day began as dawn broke. Ray went around as usual and cleaned up after the five little goblins as they left trails of fabric and thread in their wake. The door bell rung and Ray was quick to answer. A stout little goblin boy stood outside the door. He had a big bag bulging with letter slug over his shoulder and in his hands he held seven letters, all which were closed with a wax seal except for one. "These are for the owners and employee of this shop," the little boy said in a high-pitched voice. Ray took them. "Thank you very much. I would give you a coin or two if I had any on me." she said with a smile, this was the new mailman. He nodded and then was off.

Ray looked through the letters, five of them were addressed to the five goblins busy at work and two were for Ray. She opened the one in an envelop first.
"Dear Ray,
I was so worried about you! I thought he had taken you and left you to rot in that horrible maze of his! But Hoggle told me you're doing alright and I shouldn't worry. He sent me a note telling me how I could get in contact with you and well, if you're reading this, I guess he was telling the truth.
So tell me, how are you? Hoggle said you worked as an assistant seamstress. I didn't think you sewed much. But, what do I know? How did you get the job? How did you get into the city?! Tell me everything, it's only fair.
Can't wait to hear from you,
Sarah
P.S. To write back, put the letter on the windowsill and hum a melody before you go to bed."
Ray read over the note. She giggled near the end. It was only fair. "I'll write you back just as soon as I get off work, Sarah." Ray said to the letter, tucking it carefully back into the envelope. Then she turned to the wax-sealed envelope. Three crystal orbs were printed into the silver wax. "From the King?" Ray asked, popping the wax seal off and unfolding the letter.

As she opened the letter, a smaller folded piece of paper fell out into Ray's lap. I'll read that one in just a sec... she thought, unfolding the large piece of paper all the way.
"Dear citizen,
You have been invited to the annual Masquerade Ball at the castle in the center of the Goblin City. This masquerade will take place on the first full moon of summer. When you arrive at the castle, tell the guard whom you are and you will be allowed inside. You name will then be called as you enter the ballroom. There will be food and drink, along with a long night of talk and dancing. The dress code is what it always is; wear something fancy, and a mask to match.
Thank you~"
Ray read. "Oh cool! I showed up just in time." and with that she tucked the smaller letter in her apron pocket and went to tell everyone the good news.

It so happened to be that the five goblin women also got invitations to the ball and they all were in a flurry to get ready. The first full moon of summer was only a week away, and no one had anything fancy enough to wear.

After a long day of planning out dresses, making dresses, and designing masks, Ray and Bornia headed home for some well-earned dinner. "Bornia, do you have a pen and paper I might be able to use once we get home? I have to write a letter back to a friend of mine so she doesn't freak out." Ry said with a chuckle. "A letter from a friend that lives in the mortal world? I don't know how it'll get back to her but sure."

Once home, Bornia gave Ray a feather pen, an ink pot and a piece of paper. Ray was up in her room in a flash, wanting to write back to Sarah. "But I might want to read that other little letter first if I want to tell Sarah everything." Ray said, taking the little folded piece of paper from her apron.
"Dear Ray,
You are invited to a private dinner party with the King and other special guests. This dinner will take place after the Masquerade Ball on the first full moon of summer. To find the party, after the ball, go into the throne room and wait for a guide to show you and the other guests to the table. The dress code for the dinner is the same as the code for the masquerade.
Thank you~
P.S. Because you won. ~Jareth."
Ray's breath caught in her throat. "Oh my.." she whispered. So many thoughts cascaded through her mind now. "I'll never get everything into one letter now." Ray said, putting the unfolded special invitation to her left and she wrote to Sarah.

Ray put the finished letter on her windowsill and hummed a melody that had been stuck in her head the whole day long. She had managed to get all the important bits into three pieces of paper, which was all that Bornia had given her, and folded them up and put them in the envelope Sarah had used. then she crawled into her warm bed, thinking about the private dinner she had been invited to. " I did win." she mused before sleep took her over.

No comments: