Labyrinth II: Return to the Labyrinth (7)

Chapter seven,
New life

It had been a week since Ray had come to the Goblin city and she was adjusting to her new life quite well. She worked with Bornia and the others at Five little Gowns and enjoyed herself to no end. Like Gutaki had said, the shop got very few orders, but that left them with more time to work on the orders they did get, and to work on things for themselves.

Ray worked as the maid and the girl who took your dress order. Cleaning was something Ray was good at, she had done plenty at home, and the studio did need a good cleaning.

Ray was sewing some beads onto a dress that had to be done in one month for the customer's sister's wedding for Zari, when the doorbell rung. Ray knotted off the bead and went to answer the door.

At first Ray didn't see the short dwarf, she had to remind herself that most goblins were shorter than her. "Yes, how can I help you?" she asked him. It was odd to have a male customer. Or maybe he was that new messenger the old one had been talking about. "Are you Ray Quirk?" he asked. Ray nodded uncertainl, "Yes, I am she. May I ask who you are sir?" she asked politely. The dwarf let himself inside, "I'm Hoggle." he said once he was in. Ray coudl just stand and stare.

"Sarah sent me to find you. She's been worried sick!" Hoggle said after Ray closed the door. "Sarah? Oh, thats right." Ray remembered the last part to Sarah's "story". "I'm sorry, If I could have, I would have sent her a letter or something, but I had no idea how, and I didn't dare ask the King if I could." Ray explained. "But you can tell her I'm fine, and shouldn't worry about me anymore. I like it here much much more than I did out there." Ray said with a smile. Hoggle nodded and sighed. "Alright, I will. But next time you pull something like that, leave trail of stones or something, it took forever to find you!" he said as he left. Ray giggled. "I will. Thanks for coming all this way, Hoggle." and he left.

Ray went back to sewing beads, feeling sorry that she hadn't been able to tell Sarah what happened. "Maybe Hoggle will come back and I can write her a letter. That would work." Ray said to herself. "Yeah, that works great." she said with a smile.

Bornia brought lunch to the shop not much later and ray was glad she did. "I can't believe I forgot to pack myself a lunch." Ray said, taking a bite out of her sandwich. Bornia smiled. "And I was worried you would already eaten." she said, taking a bite of her own sandwich. They talked for a while but when lunch was finished, they had to get to work.

Ray Had finished cleaning, so she continued with sewing beads onto the braids-maid's dress while Bornia began a new dress for some other occasion. By the time they were done, it was dusk. Ray put the dress back on the mannequin, it was almost finished now, while Bornia turned off the lights. Then they headed home.

After dinner, which Bornia helped Ray make, Ray went up to her room and lay down on her bed. She was wearing a cream summer dress that she had made herself. Ray had used the pattern of the dress she arrived in to make it. Gutaki had helped with that. "Oh, Sarah," she said, looking up to the ceiling. "Why did you turn this down? Even here, way below royalty like Jareth, it's nice. Everyone minds their own business, life is simple, and it's just overall great." she said. Ray only spoke the King's name aloud when she knew she was alone. It was a sort of unspoken law not to mentioned the King's name. Ray knew that if no one else knew, she would be fine.

No comments: